Saturday, September 12, 2009

Leader After Halftime!!


We started qualifying this last we for the first tournament on the year, which is back in Colorado Springs. My HOME!! We played a total of 45 holes this first week going 18-9-18. For the first round we played Hobble Creek. On the front nine I hit all 9 greens and shot 1 under par. On the back nine, I had a few hick up on some holes and shot 2 over par with three bogie's and one more birdie. I shot a 1 over par 72 and was leading my two strokes over Jeff Holmes, one of my roommates.


The second round we only played nine holes because coach wanted to take sometime with everyone individually and explain what he saw the day before. The one thing that he told me is that my tempo was just a shy fast. I went to the range for about 45 minutes before we played and worked everything out. The course we played was called Talons Cove, which is on the West side of the Utah Lake ( the opposite side of UVU, and it is about a 1 hour drive). Coach played in my group, that consisted of Paul, and Jeff. I shot a 1 under par round of 35 and unfortunately bogeyed the last hole. Joey, on of the new guys on the team shot an amazing 5 under 31 on those nine holes and lead me by one stroke.


The third round was played at Spanish Oaks, the course I shot 68 at last week. I started out playing great again and was 4 under par after my first 8 holes. On the second I chipped in from the bunker for eagle, and almost hole on on the next hole. We got to the ninth hole, a drivable par 4, and I hit driver and pushed my drive under a tree on the right-side. I ended up double bogeying that hole which took me back to 2 under-par for the round. I got it back to 4 under after the 15th hole by having birdies on 10 and 12. The 16th hole is one of the hardest holes I have played. ate second shot is down hill dogleg right, blind, and you can't miss it right or your ball is in the trees!! I hit a great tee shot down the right side, but I was still 190 yards from the green and had to hit over the trees on the right. I kind of push cut my ball and I did not fly far enough to get over the gunge so I took a double bogey on that hole as well. I ended up shooting a 1 under round of 71 and regained my lead by two strokes over Jeff.


Overall I think the week went well even though I had a few arrant shots. I have hit a total of 36 greens which is 80%, and I am averaging 32.67 putts around. This stats are the highest on the team. Coach and I discussed it and he is very pleased with how I am striking that ball and being able to control my ball flight much better then last year. He says I have greatly developed as a player. He especially happy with how my short game looks, he says in it " 1000x better."!!!


Here are the standings thus far:


Player. #1. #2. #3. Total

Nick. 72. 35. 71. -1

Jeff. 74. 34. 72. +1

Joey. 75. 31. 75. +2

Andrew. 76. 36. 72. +5

Cody. 77. 36. 72. +6

cut line

Paul. 74. 37. 76. +8

Dane. 79. 37. 72. +9



Thanks everyone for the great support that keeps me motivated!!

No comments:

Post a Comment