Thursday, September 3, 2009

First Week is Over!!


The first week of official practice is now over, and it was a great warm up for next week’s qualifying. On Wednesday we played Glandstan Golf Course in Payson, which is about 30 minutes south of Orem. The course is tough, especially the back nine, because it is long and very hilly. So really you are never hitting from a flat line or hitting to a level green. I shot 75 which was 2nd low for the entire team that day. I played okay but not great, there were a few easy putts that I read too much break.

This was the first day I played after getting my knee checked by the athletic trainer. I did something to my knee last week and hyper extended it. So I played the rest of the week with it wrapped so I could not straighten my knee all the way which made walking and swing more comfortable. I feel much better now, since I had the weekend to rest it up.

Thursday was the last day of organized practice last week, and we played at Spanish Oaks Golf Course, which is located in the Spanish Fork Canyon right next to the big windmills!! What a sight. I played with Andrew, Noah and Jeff. Jeff and I took on Andrew and Noah and beat them on the front, and we tied the back nine. Personally I played one of my better rounds since being back in Utah. I shot a 68 and was very pleased.

On the front nine I shot a 5 under par 31. I had an Eagle, and 4 birdies. Unfortunately I three putted the 8th hole for a bogey. I was hitting the ball great and the putting was phenomenal only had 13 putts. I just could not miss putts; they were going in from 10 feet to 40 feet!! After the front nine, coach started playing with us on the back side. I was very excited of how I was playing and how the team as a whole was doing. As a team we shot 14 under par on the front side.

The back side is somewhat more difficult but not too bad. It has some tight tee shots, and a couple of risk reward holes. I kept playing the way I was on the front but on the last three holes, I could feel myself playing more timid. Coach told me that feeling is normal after playing so good for the entire round, and explained to me that after a few more rounds of shooting under par; I will have a better control of that feeling.

Next week we start qualifiers for the first tournament, which is back in Colorado Springs @ the Air Force Academy, Eisenhower Golf Course. My game feels great and I am ready for the qualifiers. I will keep everyone posted on how things are going throughout the week. If anyone would like the see the entire schedule, just click on the UVU Athletics Link on the top of the page.


1 comment:

  1. Great job - keep it up and keep us posted.
    Love,
    Gramps and Grams

    ReplyDelete